Day 6 Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard
Up early this morning! By the time David arrived at his ‘round
the islands’ plan, the reservation line at Hy-Line Cruises had closed for the
evening. We were prepared for whatever the day might bring (traffic on the Cape
had us wondering if ferry reservations needed to be made well in advance?) but
we wanted to be prepared when we left the trailer so we thought a reservation
was a good idea. The office opened at 6:30 so with horrid memories of working
days, we set an alarm. The reservation wasn’t a problem, as it turns out, so we
were off to catch a 9:30 ferry to Nantucket.
Hyannis was reminiscent of Clifton Hill, I mean really like
Clifton Hill, so already we were wondering about out notions of how the Islands
would match out imaginings. The ferry alone was a thrill for me but that’s just
me! I was surprised that it was a two hour trip! We started in Nantucket, further
from the Cape than Martha’s Vineyard but nonetheless!
Our new RV GPS App works like a charm but I'm unsure of how a road can be south-east-west all at the same time?
Hyannis at the dock.
Me loving the sea air but thank goodness for my Lulu wrap!
Nantucket was charming with cobblestone
streets once again reminiscent of our European adventures. Apparently the
stones were used as ballast on the ships when the first settlers arrived. After
they got here, they had no more use for them so decided to create roads – had to
be easier than the sand that greeted them! A series of shops selling local (and
not so local) wares reminded David of the Caribbean without Diamonds
International! There was a laidback feel to island life though, and I could
imagine spending a summer here with one day blending into the next with hazy
bliss! Lunch at the Rose and Crown, seated in the open window as the world
passed by, was divine. The lobster roll was unbelievably good, but I think I
have said that about every lobster...crab...fish-in-general meal I have had
since we landed on the shore!
First views of Nantucket.
First views of Nantucket.
Cobblestone streets throughout the downtown.
A happy boy!
I don’t think I will ever see
another hydrangea without thinking of Cape Cod. And certainly Nantucket has the
cream of the crop. I have always loved hydrangeas but have hesitated because
they are apparently toxic to dogs – we all know what Hugo would do! Before I
plant them though I will definitely Google what makes them grow the way they do
on Nantucket!
Leaving Nantucket we then headed toward
Martha’s Vineyard. Being old enough to remember the Kennedys we had a notion of
opulence and tranquility. We were quite surprised. While the estates (not sure
that this is the official title, but it gives you the idea!) were certainly worthy
of the Kennedy dynasty, the main town, Oak Bluff, is a little more tacky commercial
than I had anticipated. The price tags in the shops certainly supported the
idea of an affluent community but the overall impression was less classy than I
had thought.
Wandering away from the port area
proper we happened upon the Campmeeting Association Gingerbread Cottages. Back in
1835 the first prayer camp happened at Wesleyan Grove. Over time families who
came to these prayer meetings and pitched a tent were replaced by families who
came back year after year and constructed permanent wooden cottages. The
founders of the Campmeetings were Methodists but over the years the
congregation evolved to be extremely interdenominational. Many of these cottages
have been in families for generations but occasionally cottages are rented, or
sold and bought. Today the campground is predominately summer residents who
value the intimacy of the crowded cottages. Still clearly identified as a
religious community, the residents are keenly appreciative of the special traditions
of which they are a part.
Some of hundreds of tiny Gingerbread in the Campmeeting Association community. Each one very ornate and unique. The middle one here is called OZ. The painting includes a yellow brick road, ruby slippers and flying monkeys!
This one has a bird house on the top balcony that's an exact replica of the cottage.
The only cottage you can actually visit as it is set up as a museum.
This one was decorated with folk art. About the only thing common among the cottages is that they all have large, fully furnished front porches.
The open tabernacle, the largest wrought iron structure in the US??
Unfortunately not being aware
until we happened upon it, the museum closed at 4:00 and the lobster supper
that still operates in the meeting hall was not available. I say all of this to
alert our friends Charlie and Anna Marie who will be heading to Martha’s
Vineyard this summer to plan carefully and not miss anything about this gem!
Simply sitting on the many
benches that line the shoreline here, is a pleasure! For those that love people
watching, this is the place to do it! After an embarrassing amount of voyeur time
– but really people if you don’t want people to stare, stop being loud and
crazy!!! – we found ourselves at the Sand Bar & Grill for local treats
while we waited for the ferry to bring us back “off island” as the locals say.
What's a vacation in 2014 without a narcissistic selfie!!!
By the time we arrived back at
the campground it was 11:00 pm and we could do nothing more than fall into bed
to rest up for whatever tomorrow might bring!















1 Comments:
Thanks for the "heads up" Maggie!
We noticed all the hydrangeas on the Cape as well. Absolutely gorgeous.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home