Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 7 Cape Cod


Today was certainly a more civilized start. We were up and going fairly early though (just not with an alarm) as we wanted to take advantage of some of the fabulous biking and bike trails before the day became too hot. Although biking is encouraged on the Cape so cyclists always have the right of way, driving sometimes feels tricky so we chose to find one of the converted rail lines that are not open to motorized vehicles. This is actually pretty easy to do as well since they cover most of the Cape and the network is easily accessed from anywhere.

The section that we chose was quite shaded (which is why we picked it) and travelled through Nickerson State Park. The path is relatively level and road markers not only keep you on track but also make it easy to track your distance. Even with the breeze a bike ride generates, we were only able to manage a 10 mile ride before the heat sent us in search of a shower and some AC.

This selfie thing may be addictive!
By the way, I know we travelled 10 miles because of the road markers but I have little concept of what distance that really is any more. I notice I think in km and °C but in inches, feet and pounds! Not sure what kind of logic that offers but it means that since I have been here I seldom have an accurate idea how far away anything is and I can only tell you that it’s hot!

Back at our lovely, cool RV, David had some work to do so I decided to get some laundry and clean up done for our move tomorrow. On the way to the laundry I noticed a phone that offered free calling to anywhere in the US or Canada! So while the laundry was going I managed to connect with a few folks to catch up on the news from home. Wish I had discovered this before our last night here! I will watch from now on but you just know this is the last time I will see this!

Time to leave old Cape Cod – an entertaining spot to be sure. After all, where else would you find a place that will charge you $105 if you run a red light, but $10,000 if you litter! Tomorrow we head to NYC to meet up with our friends John and Julie! Big Apple here we come!

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy your time in the city that never sleeps!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home