Friday, July 11, 2014

Day 8 NYC


Well we thought the traffic on Cape Cod was busy, and then we hit New York City...good heavens above! We rolled along pleasantly out of the Cape, none of the dreaded backup. The traffic was steady but we kept close to the speed limit from the campground, through Rhode Island, then Connecticut, and even as we started into New York City. The volume increased significantly, but nothing the GTA hadn’t prepared us for. Then we joined the masses on the trip across the Hudson River, on the George Washington Bridge. If you’ve never been to New York City, imagine driving a vehicle almost 12 feet high, 8 feet wide and 55 feet long in Toronto (or any other big city) during rush hour. We passed a sign 5 miles before the bridge telling us we were 55 minutes from the bridge – they lied, it was a lot longer! Now imagine finally getting through that to find yourself in the middle of downtown (Toronto, Montreal, wherever) on a game day during Pride or the Santa Clause Parade and trying to negotiate one way streets, heavy traffic, narrow roads and...you’re lost...oh, and did I mention 55 feet long and 8 feet wide? That was our afternoon! It was the craziest we have ever done, and we’ve done some pretty crazy things! At one point I realized I had a map, two sets of instructions, 3 electronic mapping aids, and we were still lost! At about that point the lunacy of the situation dawned and we had a period of near hysterical laughter. I have to add here that never once during that whole time did David get angry, raise his voice or even get very flustered! I think I really should address him now as Saint David since a man with that much patience and calm just has to be something other than mere mortal. Despite it all we arrived safely, if several hours later than planned.

Our friends John and Julie were not only waiting, but waiting with a gin and tonic so before even setting up camp we enjoyed a little relaxing while we swapped stories...theirs of their recent trip to Spain, ours mostly of our afternoon adventures! Calm enough now to appreciate our surroundings, we are in a very cool campground! Literally a parking lot at the end of Jersey and we can look out on the NYC skyline and have a clear view of the Statue of Liberty. We took a few minutes to get situated and then we were off into the city. We hiked from the World Trade Centre train stop across the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldi’s for a delicious piece of their famous pie! So worth the wait as we stood outside in a line just to get into the old bank building that has been converted into the pizzeria.

 So cute that they dress alike!
 LOVE NYC architecture!
 The line under the Brooklyn Bridge for pizza at Grimaldi's - so worth it!
 Command centre! The kitchen is at the front door. Obviously we were seated on the second floor but it gave us a great view and man could these guys turn out pizza. Not sure you can read the sign - no slices, cash only. They only do one thing and they do it well!
 Cute couple who sat across from us!
Traveling with John and Julie is wonderful. Not only are they dear, old friends, we enjoy their company, and we are in sync on what we want to see and do, but the greatest part for me is that John is a navigator! I don’t have to plan, organize or figure anything out – I can just go and enjoy the adventure. Don’t get me wrong, I love planning vacations and don’t mind at all being responsible for the navigating. Sometimes though it’s a real treat to just ‘let go’ and wander without care and still end up where I wanted to go! Of course travelling with John means that you will have met and conversed with several folks along your route. I think the folks around us on the Path train were quite amused listening to John make a new friend with the man sitting next to him. On commuter trains generally people mind their own business, maybe doze and seem to disconnect from their fellow travelers. As John changed all that I watched as people around us started to open their eyes, casually glance, move to a stare and then obviously amused, settled in with a grin to listen to these two new friends converse about their lives! The same thing happened with the people waiting next to us in the line at Grimaldi’s too, but as that conversation was in French, not as many people appeared interested in following along!

Our walk back across the bridge to the setting sun and the twinkling lights of skyscrapers was the perfect summer evening! As long as you stay out of the bike lane ... those dudes are serious about their right-of-way!
Walking back across the Brooklyn Bridge at twilight.
 
It’s so great to be back – I LOVE NY!

1 Comments:

At July 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Charlie wants to drive in Manhattan! I knew it was a crazy idea!
Would you believe we had pizza at Grimaldi's in Vegas yesterday? There are 2 here! Love it!
Keep up the great blogging!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home