Day 11 NYC
Well today we are finally feeling
the wariness of the last few days! The heat continues to be oppressive and despite
an early morning rain storm, the humidity is highly uncomfortable. At the risk
of never being seen again, we hopped on the PATH to go to Manhattan for Mass at
St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Now once again the trip involved several wrong turns
and waits for trains that didn’t come. We had set out with plenty of time (we
thought) for a Mass at noon. Thank goodness there was also a Mass at 1:00!
I try; I really do, to not be
harsh and judgemental! We actually arrived at the Cathedral before the noon
Mass had finished. Ordinarily I would have waited outside until the
congregation had finished communion and left the church. As St. Patrick’s is
also very much a tourist destination as well as an active parish, throngs of
people were walking in and out of the building, snapping pictures and in spite
of the many signs to be respectful of the sacramental celebration there was a
general hubbub at the back of the church. I was actually OK with all that – well,
maybe not ‘OK’ exactly – but aware that different people had a different perspective.
When I noticed that the gift store at the back was doing a booming business as
communion was finishing, I near blew a gasket! Once again I was aware that
those tourists buying things may have a different purpose for their visit today.
The parish though allowing that, no encouraging that, during Mass, reeked of money
changers in the temple! Unbelievable!! I will say this, when we were up closer
to the altar as part of the congregation at the next Mass, it was not as distracting
as I thought I might be. It was odd to see people walk down from communion with
their shopping bags under their arms and the commotion on the periphery was
certainly more than I’m accustomed to, but the Mass was not at all the circus I
had feared.
Following Mass we stopped at Bill’s
Burgers on 5th Avenue for lunch! It was a great spot, well air-conditioned
and our seat at the window looking out at the people passing by lured us into a
long and leisurely lunch. Knowing how long the weekend trip back could take,
and that we had to be ready to leave in the morning, we decided by the end of
lunch that we should begin to make our way back toward the trailer and agreed
to stop if anything caught our eye. A trip through Rockefeller Centre, the outside
square and the Lego store was as much as managed before we happened on a subway
station and for the last time we headed underground. After our experience
yesterday we actively welcomed advice from fellow passengers and managed to get
home with only one slight hiccup!
Flower art at the Rockefeller Centre?? Jeff Koons Split-Rocker is planted form that towers over 37 feet high and features over 50,000 flowering plants!
A wall of lego pieces in giant drawers. You get a deli tub to fill anyway you want to and then pay by the size of the tub you choose
This one's for you Jonathan Boss! A giant sign made of lego with a slogan you could support!
The evening before we leave is
always busy. Considering our trip in here, making sure the tank is full of gas,
our way out of the city is less convoluted than our trip in, and groceries are
topped up until we’re settled in our next campground are all jobs to be done
this evening! Another lovely dinner with the Flynn’s and it’s early to bed. We
will part ways tomorrow as they head toward home with a stop in Vermont and we
head out...next stop, Washington DC!



1 Comments:
Now that we're home, we've been able to catch up with your adventures. The cruise ship wifi wasn't up to the challenge and it was frustrating to know your stories were being told but we couldn't enjoy them! We're loving your reflections on visiting the east coast places we've been to.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home