Day 15 Washington...well really Maryland!
Well I have finally had to slow down. No 10,000 steps for me
today. I moved so little I didn’t even bother to wear the Fit Bit! My back was
still in full spasm this morning and David wisely insisted that I take a day to
rest. Following our ride home from the subway last night, I lay awake worrying
that we would have to cut our vacation short and head for home. That was
immediately followed by the dread of being confined to the truck for that long
with this pain. Based on all of that, I was ready to take David’s advice.
The worst part of all of this is the unknown! If I knew for
sure that following a day or two of rest I would be fine, if I knew for sure
that the pain was indeed a simple muscle spasm, if I knew for sure that the
rotation of heat and cold was what was best...this might all be easier! An
abrupt halt to all the fun and adventure we have been enjoying is a bitter pill
to swallow in any case.
While I sat and lay around alternating heat and ice on my
back, David puttered and did the chores. In fact, we embarked upon the most dangerous
and daring of everything we have done since we left – David did the laundry!
David is great and will do anything. Most things he will do with great skill.
David does NOT do laundry. We learned a long time ago that his brilliance does
not extend to sorting, washing, drying and folding clothes. The fact that this
even happened will give you a good idea of what rough shape I’m in!
With not much left to do I was grateful for the great Wi-Fi
here. As I travel I keep a list of things to “look up when I get home”. It’s a
list of things we discover or notice that we can’t get a full explanation for
and we know that Google can help. One thing I happened upon today that I will
keep in mind for our next visit (Anna Marie take note!), the Washington Post
publishes a weekly list of what happening in the city. It is quite extensive
and offers many suggestions of things we had no idea about, like free concerts
and talks in venues all around Washington! Next time for sure!
As the day wore on, though I was afraid to get too excited I
did think my back was starting to loosen up. We had made plans to meet up with
our friends Marianne and Victor for dinner and I really hoped that I would be
able to keep that date.
Marianne and Victor lived at the end of our street when our
kids were all little. They had come from South Africa and although not quite so
far, at the time all our family was also out of province. Victor and David were
engineers, Marianne and I were both stay-at-home moms, we each had four kids
who all went to the same schools and we all attended the same parish. Many
years ago Victor was transferred to California and we had lost track of one
another. Early in this past school year one of my FDK students, Anthony came up
to me to tell me that his Grandma was my friend. I thought that was cute but
assured him that wasn’t the case. He assured me I was wrong and we were
friends. I asked who is Grandma was and he told me Marianne Hendrickse!!
Speaking with his Mom at the end of the day I learned Marianne was a Facebook
fan and thus the friendship renewed! We had been sending messages back and
forth and discovered that this campground is about 20 minutes from where they
live! I REALLY didn’t want to miss this date for a back pain!!! It was the only
thing I did all day for heaven sake!
David and I set out and found their beautiful new home
without a problem. We had a short visit with Marianne while Victor finished his
work day and then met him at a favourite Indian restaurant of theirs, The Royal
Taj, for dinner. The host came out of the restaurant when he saw us coming and
greeted Victor with a hug – no wonder this is a favourite spot. We shared a
delicious meal, reminisced about the old times, caught up on children and
grandchildren and were brought up-to-date on what’s been happening in each other’s
lives.
They followed us back to our trailer to continue the
conversation and by the time they left us my back was feeling considerably
better. I have always said, nothing like time spent with old friends to cure
what ails you! Such a wonderful evening and not at all a wasted day as it
happens!
Wonderful dinner with wonderful company!


2 Comments:
I'm all caught up now so will be able to get some work done around here and just follow along one day at a time.
As I said in the last post I am loving it and feel like I am there, well almost.
So glad that you're feeling better. The next few days are going to be busy...we have a lot to do together!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home