Day 22 Gatlinburg
Well we are on vacation but good heaven talk about a slow start day! Never thought I would get that man going this morning, but since he does the driving and yesterday was a longish day I thought maybe I wouldn’t complain...much! We puttered and we lingered over coffee until the day was half done, then we set out to explore Tennessee.
I remember earlier in this blog
referring to Hyannis as a combination of commercial PEI and Clifton Hill on
steroids. With apologies to the fine people of Hyannis, I will have to ask for
the Tackiest Place on Earth crown back! Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, is the winner!
Our campground is a little town
called Sevierville, followed by Pigeon Forge then Gatlinburg, one sort of runs
into the other and they end at Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Yesterday
when we drove in I mentioned that the billboards didn’t draw my attention away
from the beauty of the mountains. When we drove into Pigeon Forge you just
couldn’t escape it. David and I drove through shouting at one another to look
this way and that as amusement after amusement screamed (maybe down here it’s
hollered!) for our attention. Unbelievable!
![]() |
| The Incredible Christmas Place. I've been to Christmas Mouse, VA. I've been to Bronner's in Frankenmuth. I have never seen anything like this! |
Moving on into Gatlinburg was no better! These towns have
only one mile-long street, but every square inch is cluttered with every
conceivable entertainment – if you’re into that sort of thing – we’re not! We
think we may take the $2.00 Trolley back in one day to hear the music in the
street and visit some of the craft shops. But that will be enough for us!
Gatlinburg is quite literally the entrance to the park so
one second we are in a throng of humanity, entranced by the marquee lights and
the latest offering from Ripley, the next we are in a tunnel of trees, winding more
than 4,000 feet up onto a mountain range that stretches across two states
(North Carolina and Tennessee) to explore over 800 square miles of forest that
is home to such an incredible diversity of plant and animal life that it has
been designated a World Heritage Site. All this and it doesn’t cost a penny! Folks
thousands of feet below us are spending countless dollars to be entertained (in
the visitor information centre a coupon book for just one of the towns claimed
to save us over $1000!!) – different strokes for different folks! Written on
the lookout of one of the pinnacles that straddles NC and TN is a quote from
naturalist Harvey Broome, “Man has created some lovely dwellings – some soul-stirring
literature. He has done much to alleviate physical pain.” (I would add and much
to contribute to it!) “But he has not...created a substitute for a sunset, a
grove of pines, the music of the winds, the dank smell of the deep forest, or
the shy beauty of a wildflower.” Add a mountain ...and an ocean in there and
you’ve got an Amen! God is good!
![]() |
| The road to the top is wide and well maintained with loads of spots to park and get out, even for a big truck! |
![]() |
| Flocks of Pipevine Swallowtails! |
![]() |
| Wings open or closed they`re beautiful! |
![]() |
| Mountain stream |
![]() |
| I lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? |
![]() |
| A ribbon of road far, far below! |
Down off the mountain and back toward home, this time via a
bypass road, we stopped at Mel’s Diner for a bite to eat. It’s exactly as you
might expect down to the old Wurlitzer playing happily in the corner. Accents
amuse me. I understand how they develop and even how they are perpetuated. I am
constantly amused by how pronounced they remain even as the world shrinks and
media provides us all with common teachings! The “accent” here in Tennessee is
very pleasing to the ear. We are called darlin’
by the waitresses and folks we pass want to know how y’all doing. Everyone is very friendly and no one passes
without a howdy.
![]() |
| Not an ounce of nutrition to be found! |
David had a package delivered today so there is a bit of
work to do. I can’t complain because his working occasionally from the road
means we can take these extended holidays. Besides a quiet evening blogging is
not a bad way to spend your time!














0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home