Local maps are plentiful but deceiving! We were up and out
for our bike ride as the sun was rising but the Cades Cove Loop that was
reserved for bikers this morning until 10:00 am was an hour into the park and
not near the entrance as the map implied. I guess when your park is as big as
this one that is close to the
entrance! However, not the last time I was misled this morning! The trail is
described as (and I quote!), “relatively flat valley”. Relative to a mountain I
suppose but I did not infer that when we set out on this adventure! About the
only promise they held true to was the “no cars” bit except at the end when,
because of the challenge of said flat
valley, we were biking through the traffic because it was well past the 10:00
deadline!
 |
| Stopping for a photo. The scenery was b.eautiful |
Our friends John and Chris would have been in their glory. I
on the other hand don’t get it. The downhill was like an amusement park ride –
that I hate, and the uphill was reminiscent of labour – which yielded marvelous
rewards but you don’t repeat it for fun!!! I will say this, the hills that I
walked on the way in I was riding on the way out. It was a faster way to get the
whole sorry mess finished! Eleven miles and I couldn’t even enjoy the scenery
in my efforts to not die!! David, bless his heart did not lose his patience
with me once! Biking is more his thing anyway but given the heat, oh yes, did I
mention the 30+ degrees (?!!), I think he may have chosen to hike the trail
given his time back! Biking was a pain in the butt – literally!!
Cades Cove was a hunting ground for the Cherokee who knows
how many years ago. In 1821 the first permanent settlers arrived and began to
farm the fertile land. Examples of homes, farms and early churches still dot
the trail. When we arrived a few days ago we and went to the Visitors Center we
bought a National Park “Starter Kit” with maps, trail guides and tips for
visiting the park. They were worth their weight in gold. The Cades Cove booklet
told us about all the wildlife known to frequent the area and explained each building
we saw along the way.
 |
| A common sight along the way. Also saw two wild turkeys I did not get a picture of. No bears though! |
 |
| It all may have been worth it for this one moment as Mom pranced gracefully along with us and baby awkwardly stumbled along behind! |
 |
- I'm not just making stuff up! There was a warden at the bottom of this hill and when I mentioned that their signs meant business she said, "Yes ma'am. I'm here to pick up the pieces.
|
 |
| Carter Shields cabin - 1906. |
 |
| This was the smarter way to see the area! |
On the way back through town we stopped at the Cracker Barrel.
It was noon and we hadn’t yet had breakfast or even coffee. We thought we would
ride with the sunrise and then eat breakfast...best laid plans! Not a hardship
to stop here though since I love that place for just a home cooking kind of
meal. Though they can be found most everywhere now, they began right here in
Tennessee so it may be a chain, but here it’s eatin’ local!
 |
| We parked under King Kong! |
Following our early and energetic start and a hardy meal we
had our first truly lazy day of the holiday. David was amused at how enthusiastically
I embraced lethargy. We showered, we napped, we read, we enjoyed happy hour, we
did absolutely nothing else productive for the rest of the day and it was
wonderful!
 |
| Rhododendrons are massive here! |
 |
| We are not the only Canadians around! We didn't pictures of the beaver, otter and large turtles! Loads of wildlife in these hills! |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home